Friday, August 31, 2012

Handpainted Glass Using DecoArt

I love adding alittle pizazz to ordinary pieces; Taking a simple item up a notch makes them unique and unexpected.

I just finished up a new easy DIY project using glass paint, which added a burst of color to my ordinary clear drinking glasses and wine glasses. Its amazing what you can do with inexpensive glassware, paint, and an imagination

The kind folks at DecoArt were gracious enough to send me a huge box of goodies to try out. I decided on their transparent glass paints which I thought would be great for adding a little interest to my once plain-jane glasses.

Supplies: Decorative Glass, DecoArt Glass Enamel Paint (in your color of choice), small flat brush, alcohol, and cotton ball

For this project, I chose a pair of decorative wine glasses that we received as a gift for our wedding (many years ago I might add). I use them on occasion when enjoying a yummy glass of red wine, and thought some added color would make them even more enticing to use on a regular basis (yes, Im often known to drink a glass of wine or two during the evening hours).

Start off by cleaning the glass surface (inside and out) with alcohol.

These paints are for decorative purposes only, so you can only paint on certain areas. To add a little color to these glasses, I decided to add the transparent paint to the outside of the glass, as well as the base of the stem to add a soft glow.

I applied the paint in thin, long strokes to avoid any clumps or streaks.

Within minutes, these two ordinary glasses were transformed into unique and personalized wine glasses.

Pretty fun, huh?

To finish up the glasses, I baked them in the oven for 30 minutes at 275 degrees. When baking glass to seal the paint, be sure to put the glass in BEFORE the oven heats up and dont take them out BEFORE the oven is completely cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment